Yes, MUGEN ZERO is still alive!! -- 2013

:: Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yes, MUGEN ZERO is still alive!! -- 2013

Post by Ace on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm really excited to say that MUGEN ZERO is not only still alive, but MUCH improved, and is actually nearing a (beta) release!

Yes, it's been a really REALLY long time, but I had little time to work on the game and eventually had to put it on hold while I got some real life stuff together. I have, however, been working on it since then in my spare time and am finally nearing a beta release (hopefully) in the next few months. Many things were reprogrammed (such as the character creation process), ideas were scrapped, and new game content was added (such as neat level designs and MUCH cooler gameplay mechanisms), leading to a pretty damn awesome game that I'm proud to say is exactly what I envisioned MUGEN ZERO to be!

The NEW character creation mechanism is actually complete, but it required a total redesign (and thus reprogramming). Many of the original ideas were combined into a single, flowing, process that includes everything from character-specific sprites, special effects and physics to completely custom sound effects, 'programmable' special move physics, and even chainable abilities that allow you to create your very own awesome-looking custom combos!

I will post more info about the character creator in another topic, but for now I want to thank those of you who stuck around the forums for as long as you did without any updates from me whatsoever (Nial8or). I regret not being able to update you, but I found that it was probably better that I just shut up and got things done RIGHT rather than talk about them but not actually have time to deliver them properly when I had originally planned to. I figured Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo) had the right idea when he said "A good game is good no matter how long it takes it to be released. A bad game is bad forever."

MUGEN ZERO, no matter what, WILL be an awesome game!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, MUGEN ZERO is still alive!! -- 2013

Post by ArgonWire on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Have to admit, I totally was not expecting that e-mail xD. Glad to hear you're still around, and just posting to say I'm alive too. Started a couple other projects of my own since the break, but it's awesome to see you're still going with this.
The new editor screenshots look really great! I also remember having a couple debates on the old character system, so I'm even more interested to see how far you've carried this over the year xP.
If you still need the help, maaybe I'll be able to find time to contribute to this again - either way I'll be active and following this, even after this long it's still an idea I really want to see off the ground x).

ArgonWire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Thank you very much dude! I'm really glad to know you're still interested in this. I'd really appreciate any help you're willing to offer! I've been working my ass off getting this thing to the point it is, but I will definitely finish this! I added a couple more screenies to the screenshot post I made a few mins ago. It didn't occur to me to add shots of the sort of in-game test character area until after I PM-ed everyone (since the level probably isn't going to be included in the final product). XD

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZORK on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I already sent you a message Ace, but anyway...

I'm happy to see that this game isn't forgotten. I'm still looking forward to it.

ZORK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nial8r on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Sweet!
I'm quite glad to hear that you are still working on this! The screenshots look cool, I'm really looking forward to this game. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoLimitz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:11 am

Hey Ace! (and others) Very Happy
Great to see this thing is still going. It is a great concept, imo.
I got a lot of stuff going on right now with university and getting married but if you need a tester or anything I'd be glad to help out in any small way I can.
Great to see you never gave up on this.

~NoLimitz

ps. Those screenshots look amazing.

NoLimitz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm

just registered and posting to say that this game looks/sounds really sweet, really looking forward to it. props for keeping at it after such a long time, really great to see so much investment in something you want to do. can't wait Very Happy

Tango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Thank you. And everyone else too. I appreciate your encouragement more than you know.

My job has kept me quite busy this year, but I've managed to make some solid progress on the final design of the base game with the help of Argon and a few others.

Lately (when not working my day job) I've been on my own streamlining the core gameplay mechanisms and trying to 'find the fun' in MUGEN ZERO. A majority of that fun will depend on how we proceed with the fighting mechanics. We currently feel they can be streamlined a lot more to be more intuitive to the new player and we're working on that first before we feel comfortable enough to let you put your hands on the game for the first time. Hopefully you understand we don't want to release a half-assed attempt at something awesome. Smile

That said, we're also in search of a background/tileset pixel-artist and level designer to give us a hand with the project. This is ridiculously difficult to find for some reason, but if you or anyone you know might be interested in helping out, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can come up with. If it helps, you'll be working with an experienced pixel artist and animator (myself) so you won't be working alone. Here's a link to my 'portfolio' --> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <-- if it helps. Smile

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top